2018 Mammals Class
5808 McKinney Falls Parkway
Austin,, TX 78744
Attendees should tell the park staff at the park entrance that they are with CAMN and they will be given a parking permit at no charge. Follow the signs to the dining hall – there is a big parking lot.
There are bathrooms in the facility as well as a kitchen. The heaters make a lot of noise so sometimes we turn them off – please dress accordingly – layers are always good.
The chairs get cold so you may want to bring something to sit on.
There will be outdoor activities as well as classroom presentations.
The amount of time spent outdoors will depend on the weather, but at the very least there will be 45 minutes outside. Wear comfortable clothes for the weather.
December 1, 2018
Start Time: 8:15 AM
End Time: 3:15 PM
**A 10-minute interpretive exercise will be held at the end of class**
Class Coordinators: John Barr, Dorothy Young, Marjie Palmer
Pamela R. Owen, Ph.D.
Associate Director of the Texas Memorial Museum at The University of Texas at Austin
Dr. Owen is associate Director of the Texas Natural History Museum at the University of Texas at Austin. She is a mammalogist and vertebrate paleontologist as well as an informal science educator, providing teacher professional development and specimen-based public outreach programs in the natural sciences for over 17 years.
Phone: (512) 232-5511
How to Prepare
- We will be spending several hours outside with various tracking activities. There will not be long hikes involved, but we will spend a good amount of time (up to 2 hours) outdoors mostly standing. Wear closed toed shoes!
- Bring a lunch with you! And a mug for coffee or tea 🙂
- Never forget a handy notebook and pen and your trusty name badge!
- Binoculars and a loupe might come in handy (but are optional)
- Also, carpooling is really really cool!
- Curriculum Chapter to Read: Mammals
- Reference Documents: